The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums General Ideas Traits and Flaws

• Traits and Flaws

Dizzardy updated 1 year, 7 months ago 7 Members · 7 Posts
  • bujomomo

Parafolk
    April 12, 2020 at 9:15 pm
    Diamond EggLoyalty BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

i’m not sure what about the trait system that has been mentioned.

i would suggest that there are traits we choose then there is a flaw that we have to choose.

for example, we choose 5 traits that will shape part of the personality of our parafolk, then we also choose flaws to give them some more character.

• Breedmond

Moderator April 13, 2020 at 12:05 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

Many people have suggested different types of trait and skill systems, but nothing has been revealed as yet by the development team.

• sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
    April 13, 2020 at 12:12 pm
    Diamond EggPicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

The Sims Medieval did this. Two traits and a fatal flaw, so not as many traits, I should note. The system was cute, but the flaws were more inconveniences than mechanics that actually affected behaviour. I’m a little on the fence here, but I think I would like to see dynamic traits that have both pros and cons. My mind keeps going back to ts4 traits, where this was attempted but not realised. Trying to think outside the box here, but I think introversion/extroversion is a good example of the kind of complexity we could have in a trait. An introvert has different skills to an extrovert, seeks different careers, and interacts differently with others. There are pros and cons; introverts might fail an event like public speaking, but put more time into a report than an extrovert and get a better result in careers that require that instead. These are just my thoughts. We definitely need flawed characters, but I don’t think the flaws need to be isolated from the other traits.

• csturner85

Paraling
    April 13, 2020 at 3:29 pm
    Diamond EggLoyalty BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

Traits and flaws would be awesome for gameplay, but I think I would want the flaws to be more game generated based on traits. For example, if I have a parafolk who is neat, snobbish, and materialistic then it would be awesome if their flaw would automatically generate to being slightly OCD or tense around crowds or lower quality/ poorer households or other parafolk. The only reason I would want this is because there could be a handful of flaws that generate with traits and if they are randomly given then I, personally, am less likely to create the same standard Para each and every time which, IMO, would add more diverse families with more personality and possibly familial conflicts based on the traits and flaws that they each have….hope this makes sense, just what I would like to see if this is going to be a thing.

• PL4Y3R

Noteworthy Newcomer
    April 13, 2020 at 4:50 pm
    Diamond Egg
     Hub Points

I’ve seen lots of games do this. It could be based on points: you get a few points for trait customization, you can’t use more than you have, and different traits might have different values. Lets say you start with 15 points and select 3 traits with the value of 5 points each, but you want a forth trait. You can then select a flaw/negative trait which gives you 5 points, allowing you to select another positive trait.

• bailey

Star Hubkin
    April 13, 2020 at 6:45 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

I posted about this in a different, but similar thread so I’ll just copy and paste my thoughts.

Idk how hard this would be to program, but I think it would be nice is all personalities had a level of positiveness and negativeness. Like with your examples..

Workaholic: Pros- Works really hard, does well at jobs. More likely to work towards promotions. Cons- Isn’t likely to relax on their own. Might ignore friends/family needs for work.

Stubborn: Pros- Sticks to their thoughts/beliefs. Isn’t likely to be swayed. Cons-Might be hard to converse with. Reluctant to take advise.

Charisma: Pros-Can persuade easily. Easily to get along with and make friends. Cons-Can be annoying to certain Parafolk.

Idk, maybe it wouldn’t work exactly like this. It was just a thought.

• Dizzardy

Seasoned Hubkin
    April 20, 2020 at 5:07 pm
    Loyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I’m kinda mixed on the idea of being forced to give our para a flaw/negative trait.

On one hand they seem to be the least popular traits…so if you want people to use them you’ll probably have to force them…..on the other hand if negative traits are the least picked then people may get annoyed if they’re forced to choose them. Personally I like the idea of having to pick negative traits but I don’t think everyone would feel that way.

I guess you could include a cheat that would allowed you to only give your para positive traits, I don’t think that would be a big deal. You could also have a toggle in the game options to play in “Sandbox” mode that would let you do more of what you want without restriction.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Dizzardy.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Dizzardy.
Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now