The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Open World Town Themes (An Alternative to making 10+ different towns)

• Town Themes (An Alternative to making 10+ different towns)

sweetchilli updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago 10 Members · 13 Posts
  • xefjord

July 17, 2019 at 4:10 pm
     Hub Points

The Sims is a game with a wide international player base with fans from the US, England, Germany, New Zealand, and even South Korea. It goes without saying that Paralives should have a healthy amount of cultural options to diversify your characters. However, making a one size fits all world isn’t a great idea (As seen in the Sims 4 city living, it doesn’t really amount to an accurate representation of any culture) and making 10 different worlds for 10 different cultural groups also isn’t practical for Indie Developers. So what can we do?

The Plan

Adopt a Stardew Valley-esque approach where you have one town, but can change the theme in the beginning. For those who don’t know about it: when you first make your farm on Stardew Valley you are able to pick what kind of farm you want, whether it is a farm by a river, whether it is a really foresty farm, a really barren farm, a spooky farm. Etc. It doesn’t actually change the core game that much, but can completely change the lens of your farming experience. What I am suggesting is similar but a bit more.

You keep one town, all the same lots, and even a lot of the same venues. But in the beginning of the game you can pick from a couple different templates: [American, European, Asian, and International] you can add a Latin and African version later or in the base game depending on your budget and time constraints. So what do these templates do?

The Specifics

For one, they will change the exterior architecture of all major lots in your town. If you pick European you will see lots of Old District German style buildings down town, the venues may be exactly the same. But the outside will look different. You will also see more European names used within the townie generation list. You can ever go so far as to change the weather and climate to match a European setting better (This can be done with different style trees, color of grass, and light filters).

If you pick Asian then the buildings will have more Japanese/Korean styled rooftops. The townies will feature more Chinese, Japanese, and Korean style names, and the setting may change to incorporate more cherry blossoms or whatever other setting additions you feel would fit your fancy. You can even automate some aspects of lifestyle (Like maybe there are food stalls around town and the food sold is based on the template you choose or when your Children go to school they may wear Uniforms in the Asian template but not in the American one.).

For players who want true multiculturalism they can pick the international template which can use a mix of all the existing templates (And have all names as available options in the townie generator). For players who want to live and experience a specific setting though. Those templates are available to them to view them game through that lens.

You can base America off a mix of the US and Canada, Europe off a mix of France, Germany, and Poland, Asia off a mix of Japan, Korea, and China. And if you ever these: Latin off a mix of Mexico and Argentina and Africa off of South Africa.

Why this Idea is Worthwhile

Making templates should be significantly easier than designing whole new worlds. And will result in a lot of people getting to experience the game through their preferred culture. It should lower the cost of production for the indie team while also meeting the communities diversity quota without overwhelming more traditional players who want to experience a more conservative play style.

• alegria

July 19, 2019 at 3:21 pm
     Hub Points

This idea is really great ! The food in restaurants could even be more culturally fitting to the world !

• bailey

Star Hubkin
    July 19, 2019 at 7:43 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

Sounds great. I’m just curious about how this will effect the surrounding houses and the vibes of the neighborhoods. Like, will we need different options to choose between say an American world full of middle class suburban houses and an American world filled with lower income houses? Or will all of that be in one setting?

• Sawdust

Parafolk
    July 20, 2019 at 8:16 am
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeDiamond EggFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

What about Australia!!! πŸ˜‰

ps. Just having a playful dig. πŸ™‚

• xefjord

July 21, 2019 at 6:50 pm
     Hub Points

@Bailey I would imagine the world is going to have a mix of low, middle, and high income houses: so we shouldn’t need to micromanage that with settings too much.

@Sawdust Australia is a potential option, only thing is that Australia is already pretty similar to the states in that it is a racially diverse westernized country and I can’t think of too many significantly differing aspects of life other than maybe a special event to an “Australia” world for our Paralivers to get mauled by drop bears.

• Sawdust

Parafolk
    July 22, 2019 at 12:00 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeDiamond EggFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

Ooooh, Drop Bears! Every game should have them. Ferocious little beasts they are and so sneaky. πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, I would prefer to see worlds created on a geographic basis rather than a cultural one. ie. desert, coast, mountains etc. I believe they can be more user friendly that way. As it stands in another popular Life Simulation game at the moment, trying to create a medieval, apocalyptic or dark wood fantasy type world becomes undone when viewed in light of the backdrop and seasonal additions.

Having said that though, if the worlds can be fully editable and customised, I certainly won’t be adverse to worlds that are centred around a particular culture. πŸ™‚

ETA. every game should also have dragons! πŸ˜€

• rose-black-vampire

Noteworthy Newcomer
    July 24, 2019 at 7:28 pm
    Trendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I would like to have the option to add more lots of any size then we can really transform better any world to our needs and i agree for the option to chose in the beginning if we will have an Asian or European of a fantasy etc world πŸ™‚ I also prefer to have the option to make changes not only to seasons but to the timeline ( i mean to have only day or only night or to change how many hours we will have day or night )

• Aibas(Ahmed Saddig)

Pro Hubkin
    September 11, 2019 at 2:16 pm
    Friendship BadgeDiamond EggAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

I think that your idea is great but the fact that you grouped a lot of countries and cultures under the term “Asia” is not what most people want, i think that choosing a couple of countries to represent one region is ethically wrong, cultures can differ vastly from one country to another, and for using a Korean/Japanese style for a Asia for E.g as a continent that contains most of the world’s people is just worrying and unrepresentative. to include these types of generalisations and then picking the most “Popular’ or “Known” about country/countries from each region feeds into the “International but really just stereotypical european/western Architecture/Culture” stereotype, where most people in many games generally don’t see themselves as represented. I think that creating new cultures and made up ethnicities will clear up all the Moral controversies that could possibly generate from including these Umbrella “Themes” today and will not show preference to a single culture over the other, rather it gives something that can be interpreted in many ways and in this case can cause little to no concern about Cultural Monogamy

• Erin

January 24, 2020 at 9:19 am
     Hub Points

Legit! The first thing I thought was what about Australia and a Polynesian/New Zealand theme also?
    What I like about this idea is they wouldn’t have to develop all the different types available all at once, just give us a few and then expand on that depending on the response.The European & Asian themes are sorely lacking in the sims.

The only thing I’m unsure about is how this would impact lots as European style houses tend to be semi detached, whilst Americans tend to have large yards. But if they could make this even semi work it’d be amazing!

• Unesty

Pro Hubkin
    December 2, 2020 at 10:45 am
    Loyalty BadgePicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I think this is a neat idea however I don’t think in the long run, it will offer something more than cosmetic changes and that can get boring pretty quickly. As it is said above, Asia is a huge place and cannot be put under one category, same with Europe, it has a lot of different cultures.

I think the way to add these different cultures can either be with updates which depends on the game’s success or can be added with the help of the modders. That’s why this game being available in Steam is very useful. People from all over the world can create their own cultural assets and anyone who is playing the game can add them to their own.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now