The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Gameplay & Simulation Thinking Out of the (Sims) Box about Different Hobbies

• Thinking Out of the (Sims) Box about Different Hobbies

• Just.A.Finch

Rising Hubkin
    May 25, 2020 at 4:51 pm
    Loyalty BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

Okay, so something that I really want to just spend a little time personally thinking about is what kinds of hobbies might wind up in the game if we break out of the Sims mold. This might also branch into self-employed stuff (because hobbies often do). I don’t know if they plan on including that kind of thing from the start in the game or at all and it’s absolutely no pressure whatsoever, there are so many things that we’re all throwing out there as possible game features and I’m honestly amazed and inspired by the dev team and their willingness to encourage so much input in the process from so many people. It’d be overwhelming to me so honestly, bless the team and I hope they know we don’t expect all of this stuff to happen, we’re just so excited about the game and our brains are running wild.

But I also feel like I want to try and brainstorm and think about what a hobby system might look like if no one thinks about the Sims as a skeleton. So I broke down different kinds of hobbies into different categories (artistic, athletic, crafting, intellectual), and this is what I came up with.

Artistic

piano, guitar, drums, vocals, painting, drawing, writing

Athletic (I don’t know how these skills would interact with each other, like would weightlifting and cardio help you learn the sports better? would sports slightly increase your skill in weightlifting and cardio? Is this too complicated? idk)

Weightlifting, Cardio, Soccer, Basketball, Swimming

Crafty

Cooking, Woodworking, DIY crafting (think macramé, homemade plant pots, crafted décor type stuff), Sewing

Intellectual

Life sciences, physical sciences, history, literature, Strategy games

Social

Humor, speech, flirting, small talking

I tried to break down charisma more, because I know of people who are very good at talking to strangers and making people like them, but who absolutely suck at public speaking. Also, flirting is a different skill than just talking to people in some ways. I also broke athletics down into working out, and also different sports, and I feel like there is a place for intellectual hobbies of just researching things and knowing a lot about them.

I feel like if they were put in a game, some of these skills might wind up being combined just because it feels like there’s a lot of them (25), but maybe not. I have no idea. Whatever the case, I feel like paras shouldn’t be able to master everything. I don’t know how limiting that would work, maybe it just takes more time to build skills, maybe how well you develop certain skills are heavily impacted by your personality and other skills are very hard to learn. What do you guys think? What would your list of hobbies be if you had to think up a completely different one, not based on any other game you’ve played?

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Just.A.Finch.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Just.A.Finch.
  • amandac

Star Hubkin
    May 26, 2020 at 10:51 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

These are great ideas. I would also like to see something a little different when it comes to exercise, like step-aerobics, zumba, kick boxing, etc, but I also like some of the classics like yoga and all the exercise machines.

• Tini96

Star Hubkin
    May 26, 2020 at 6:33 pm
    Picture PerfectFriendship BadgeLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I personally like these ideas and would also like to have it in the game. I would also want that flirting is different for everyone because there are people who are really good at it and others are really bad. Relationships should also be different tho.

• cakeefeatured

Star Hubkin
    May 27, 2020 at 6:38 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

Something I’d like to see would be glass blowing as a hobby to make vases,art, maybe glassware to drink from.

Wilderness scavenger/backpacking could learn and teach other about wilderness survival (if camping is a thing in game) to find food,make fires, make tents etc.; learn about plants that can help or harm.

Snowboarding

Antiquing of historic items and modern items,not sure how value could work on items within the game but if someone important owned it prior it could be a prized possession.

Publisher/book reviewer maybe some paras could be asked to read their manuscripts and ‘proof read’ it before they publish. Become a ghost writer depending on jobs available and paras get paid. Some could be asked to read published books and give feedback. Which could lead into either a self-employed or part time job.

It would be cool to have intellectual and social skills be combined, so small talk could lead into either large or small debates between paras depending on the topic discussed. Which could either result in them having opposing views or similar views.

Wall art on community lot buildings and interior murals

Horse back riding

Maybe some hobbies could just be task based, based on how many different types of events or locations your para goes to before they’re titled a rank within that area. Which could also affect how they live. Example, a para has been to 30 different museums which makes them an art buff, in result of that they love collecting paintings and looking at art and their house decor reflects that, even though they have no art skills per say.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  cakeefeatured.
Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now