The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums General Ideas Sexuality UI Concept (by PlantBeef#0229 on Discord)

• Sexuality UI Concept (by PlantBeef#0229 on Discord)

cakeefeatured updated 4 months, 1 week ago 13 Members · 29 Posts
  • JayLevin_ART

Noteworthy Newcomer
    July 10, 2020 at 8:43 pm
    Picture Perfect
     Hub Points

This was made by PlantBeef#0229 in Discord! I did not make this and can’t answer any questions about this design as a result. I am only making this to get their ideas out there and to be discussed. Feel free to talk about ideas for this in the replies! It’s PlantBeef wanted to open this up as a conversation topic, so feel free to do so here!

Hello everyone!

So I saw the most recent survey touching on implementation of sexuality within the game and I thought, “Hmm this could be tricky to add correctly!”
    – So I made my own example of what a sexuality UI could look like in the game.

Starting off, the UI has a handful of premade preset sexualities that you can quickly pick for your paras when you don’t feel like going into in-depth customization. You can add your own presets to this list as well, or simply select a premade one and customize it however you like from there.

Within the sexuality graph there are two points to manipulate on two axes, X and Y. X represents whether the para is attracted to the same gender expression or the opposite, or somewhere in the middle. Y represents the interest the para has in either sexual or romantic attraction. This is so you can create paras with differing need for sex and romance, thus adding the possibility for asexual or aromantic paras in the process. You might make a heterosexual male para who is unable to fall in love with anyone, or is romantically attracted to women but sexually attracted to men.

Each axis has a limit from 0-100, where on the X axis – 0 means completely heterosexual and 100 means solely homosexual. Randomized townies will have theirs based on an algorithm and paras who have not been created in the Paramaker will have theirs randomized but controlled to where certain relationships in their childhood-puberty will adjust their graph which will be set for when puberty ends.

If you have any more ideas, please share them! And please upvote this and talk about it so there’s a possibility it’s seen by the developers. Thanks!

– PlantBeef (#0229) on the Paralives Discord

19+
  • gamedomino

Star Hubkin
    July 10, 2020 at 8:49 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeWiki BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

I really like the idea because of it’s fluidity and that it allows people to make Parafolk any sexuality they want, even asexuality or aromatically as mentioned in the quote made by PlantBeef#0229.

It’s complex yet simple and while it may take a minute to understand, once you figure it out you realize easily how good this feature could be for the Paramaker and I think it’s a perfect solution to a complicated matter in games.

I hope the developers consider this!

11+
  • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
    July 11, 2020 at 1:41 am
    Diamond EggPicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

I love this!

4+
  • amandac

Star Hubkin
    July 11, 2020 at 9:48 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

These features are too complex for me so as long as I can choose “heterosexual” for everyone and be done with it, I’m happy. It does look like it offers a good choice for those who like this play style.

5+
  • Breedmond

Moderator July 11, 2020 at 10:43 am
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

This is very good way to fine tune gender and sexuality. Although I think it would have to be tweaked a bit if it were to be used in Paralives as I wonder how sexual desire will be represented. In the ‘other’ game the character automatically gets the desire to engage in sexual acts when the romantic relationship level is high. It would be interesting to see how the distinction between romantic and sexual will play out while preserving the Teen Rating.

6+
    • cakeefeatured

Star Hubkin
      July 12, 2020 at 4:01 am
      Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
       Hub Points

I was wondering that too how could that work because I think this will be good for that and not having the active player initiate everything romantically and sexually within the relationship

2+
    • LightDeficient

Paraling
      July 14, 2020 at 6:07 pm
      Picture PerfectLoyalty Badge
       Hub Points

Good question! I think the distinction could be where the Romantic Attraction is about forming a bond of love, getting married, cuddling, etc, and the Sexual Attraction is also about forming a bond but of lust and sex (WooHoo or whatever they will call it), making out and other things that stem more from sexual desire than romance. So if someone low in RA and high in SA dates someone completely opposite to them, they are going to have some trouble in their relationship as they want different things, similar to life!

3+
    • cakeefeatured

Star Hubkin
      July 16, 2020 at 8:52 pm
       Hub Points

You said it perfectly I hope this gets out in the game because I think it needs it. Rather than the relationship going one way like sims, para relationships needs tensions like this imo so it makes different game experiences

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  cakeefeatured.
      1+
  • crabwhatalad

Star Hubkin
    July 11, 2020 at 5:31 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond EggFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

I like this a lot! I think it perfectly includes the difference between sexual and romantic attraction and is perfectly customisable. It’s very inclusive which I’m very happy about and I would love the developers to include something like this.

7+
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    July 11, 2020 at 5:38 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

At first I was a bit confused, but after reading it and looking at the image, it makes more sense. I actually think this could work. It’s very simple as oppsed to some super overly complex or confusing suggestions that I’ve seen elsewhere. If the devs went with this system, I’d be fine with it.

8+
  • Tini96

Star Hubkin
    July 11, 2020 at 9:11 pm
    Picture PerfectFriendship BadgeLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I think this could work but it would be good if we have an option that turns it on and off (for people who don’t want to play with it).

2+
    • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
      July 12, 2020 at 5:51 am
      Diamond EggPicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
       Hub Points

This should not exist. Players should not be able to “turn off” LGBTQ+ representation in Paralives.

Maybe that isn’t what you meant. If instead it’s the separation of romantic and sexual attraction that you’re not interested in playing with, you could just use the presets you see in the image.

I don’t think you meant to be offensive. I’m trying really hard to remember that.

2+
    • amandac

Star Hubkin
      July 12, 2020 at 11:34 am
      Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond Egg
       Hub Points

@sweetchilli I have to disagree. I think all players should have the option to play their game the way they choose. There’s nothing offensive about that.

2+
    • Amazing_Star

Pro Hubkin
      July 12, 2020 at 12:02 pm
       Hub Points

It all depends how they meant it. The advanced option for sexuality should be of course optional. But LGBTQ+ shouldn’t be optional – it is up to you if you play with them of course, but option to disable them should never exist. We still don’t know, if there’ll be LGBTQ characters in town by default. If they will be, then players can easily choose to ignore them, really no need to disable them.

5+
    • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
      July 12, 2020 at 1:14 pm
       Hub Points

@amandac I stand by my argument. It sends a terrible message, as though to enable homophobes. Not saying you or Tini are homophobes, but some potential players could be, and I think catering to their agenda is a reprehensible idea. Amazing_Star has expressed the problem better than I, so if I’m coming across too strong you can look to their post. You can play exclusively heterosexual parafolk if you like, but you shouldn’t be able to prevent other sexualities and genders from appearing elsewhere in the game.

1+
    • amandac

Star Hubkin
      July 13, 2020 at 7:39 am
       Hub Points

@sweetchilli I don’t think there’s anything offensive about a player choosing to play a game that is 100% heterosexual or 100% LGBTQ – it’s their game and they should play however they want. I get that you don’t share that opinion so let’s just respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that.

1+
    • Amazing_Star

Pro Hubkin
      July 13, 2020 at 9:39 am
       Hub Points

But 100% hetero or LGBTQ+ gameplay gives devs limited option for storytelling. What if they want create two lesbians with adopted child or non-binary character? They should not, because someone wants 100% heterosexual gameplay? Generated townies should by up to player but parafolks created by devs should be like they created them

3+
    • amandac

Star Hubkin
      July 13, 2020 at 11:16 am
       Hub Points

Sorry, I meant the option should be there not that the game should be 100% either way.

• Tini96

Star Hubkin
      July 14, 2020 at 9:41 pm
      Picture PerfectFriendship BadgeLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter Badge
       Hub Points

No i didn’t mean that the LGBTQ+ representation should be turned off but this system here. I want to play with a variety of Paras myself, but this system is a bit too complex for me.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Tini96.
      2+
    • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
      July 16, 2020 at 1:14 am
       Hub Points

@Tini That’s fair enough, I apologise for overreacting. I think the graph makes it look more complicated than it is, which is why I figured it would be easy enough for people who don’t want to use it to just use the presets (like just select “homosexual” or “heterosexual” or another orientation from the drop-down, that’s how I interpreted that image).

1+
  • Rammgrrrl

Paraling
    July 12, 2020 at 8:25 am
    Friendship BadgeLoyalty BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

This idea is pretty good, but if that’s what they decide to go with, I think they should add a demisexual/demiromantic component. There are a couple ways this could be done. One idea would be to separate primary and secondary attraction, but there could also be a “Parafolk A must have this many relationship points with Parafolk B for sexual/romantic attraction to occur” option.

5+
  • Dizzardy

High Hubkin
    July 12, 2020 at 1:25 pm
    Loyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

Would this concept allow for Asexuality as well? I assume in that case you’d bring the sexual interest down to the bottom of the graph?

Also I guess the “custom” means you can create your own presets?

To be honest I’m still kind of on the fence with whether I would want sexuality to be something you choose in the paramaker or just have everyone be bisexual by default like in The Sims. I feel like the way the sims does it has the benefit of being less restrictive albeit at the cost of realism. While on the other hand having to choose sexuality in the paramaker could make the simulation more interesting. (and realistic) I can see benefits to both options. I can see why people would prefer one over the other.

Although with the modding options being a thing I think it would be feasible to have both styles as an option in the settings. (and maybe have a combination of the two)

So basically:

1. Sexuality is chosen in the paramaker and doesn’t change. (at least not in gameplay, maybe it would be possible to change it by going into paramaker again)

2. Sexuality works like the Sims and everyone is bisexual by default and changes based on player choice.

3. A combination of the two where you choose their sexuality in the paramaker but it can change over time based on player choice and maybe some gradual randomness thrown in.

I’m not sure if they’re all “realistic”, particularly the second one but I think it’s a case of needing to balance fun and ease of use with “realism”.

6+
    • amandac

Star Hubkin
      July 13, 2020 at 7:33 am
       Hub Points

I think this is an excellent compromise – everybody’s bi until the player chooses otherwise. TS2 got so many things right which is why many people still play this game despite how old it is.

2+
    • LightDeficient

Paraling
      July 14, 2020 at 5:56 pm
       Hub Points

I think sexuality would be an amazing system for the game as it seems like we’re going to receive intense story progression, and I don’t want my other families to autonomously get together with the wrong gender if I envision them a certain way. And if it’s completely random then that’s what would end up happening.

3+
  • LightDeficient

Paraling
    July 14, 2020 at 6:00 pm
     Hub Points

What if along with this system – Paras who haven’t been created in the Paramaker will grow up, and during puberty, you will be able to choose their sexuality with this UI and after that it becomes permanent for life (unless you use cheats). It might sound controversial as sexuality is not a choice, but I don’t think it would be an issue since the player is the one choosing and is essentially playing God.

What do you guys think? How would Paras get their sexuality when they haven’t been created in the Paramaker?

2+
    • LightDeficient

Paraling
      July 14, 2020 at 6:01 pm
       Hub Points

(Those who don’t want to choose for specific storytelling can press the randomize dice icon)

1+
    • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
      July 16, 2020 at 1:55 am
       Hub Points

I think if we’re going to choose the sexuality of individuals that were born not made, we should choose at birth, with the option to click randomise and opt not to be told. This caters to players who want a coming out mechanic that shows signs in childhood (there’s a thread for that somewhere), and people who want to be surprised. I think that’s less problematic than choosing at puberty because the para was born that way, even if it is kind of weird to assign an orientation to a baby. Do you think that’s better or worse?

3+
    • LightDeficient

Paraling
      July 16, 2020 at 11:20 am
       Hub Points

Yeah that’s a good idea!

2+
  • LightDeficient

Paraling
    July 16, 2020 at 11:19 am
     Hub Points

To people who find the system too complex and think we only really need binary sexualities without fluidity or none at all, have you thought about how think could benefit you as well? If you only play with heterosexual paras you can give them a difference in sexual interest, for example, since all heterosexual people don’t have the same sex drive or need for a romantic bond, thus adding some spice to the gameplay. This wouldn’t just benefit us who want intense LGBTQ+ representation in the game, it would benefit everybody!

4+

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close