The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Parafolk Infinite Personality Idea

• Infinite Personality Idea

Rammgrrrl updated 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Posts
  • Edana

October 8, 2019 at 6:22 pm
     Hub Points

So in the older Sims games you’d have a set of about 5 personality traits and a point-buy system to set them between neat and messy, active and lazy, etc.

But that’s so limiting.

What if you started off with five or ten personality traits, and no point-buy, you just set sliders between neat and messy, active and lazy. People aren’t as limited as a point-buy system suggests, you can be tidy [i]and[/i] kind [i]and[/i] active and it doesn’t break the laws of physics.

The interesting bit would be if hooks were left open in the programming so additional personality traits could be added, classified, and incorporated into gameplay. Maybe a modder could even make a tool so it’s easier.

It could end up with dozens or hundreds of sliders, and you’d only have to tweak a specific one if you wanted that Para to have something that set them apart. Leaving it untouched just means they’re average/neutral. Also, a randomize button could be amazing in this.

Tag groups of activities with the inclinations that would encourage a Para to partake: exercise gets a plus in ‘active’, ‘responsible’, and a minus in ‘hygiene’. If you have ‘active’ high they’re more likely to choose it, but if that’s low and ‘responsible’ is high instead, they won’t choose it but will do it for longer than someone very low on that scale if you order them to. (Probably won’t like it though.) Activity groups could include Active, Inactive, Socialization (platonic), Socialization (romantic), Outdoors, Indoors, Creative, Analytic, Cleaning, Gets You Dirty, etc, but probably best to keep it to very broad strokes.

Start with a base set: Empathy (kind/mean), Order (tidy/untidy), Socialization (Introvert/extrovert), Demeanor (playful/serious), Energy (active/sluggish), and maybe Creativity (dreamer/practical), and Bravery (bold or confident/fearful and Responsibility (Type-A/Slacker).

The really interesting thing about these could be the way they react. Paras with high Order will be drawn to choosing to wash dishes when it needs to be done, but those with low Order won’t unless they have a high Responsibility instead and they dislike it. Someone might make a mod that puts in ‘outdoorsy’ and a Para with that high and Order low will like fishing but a Para with that and Creativity high might like gardening.

I know this has its weaknesses, but wit some tweaks it could be a really flexible direction to take things.

7+
  • Bodil Bührmann

Humble Hubkin
    October 11, 2019 at 9:35 am
    Friendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

I have also hawe my thoughts about parafolks personality, actually i would prefure not to chose very much from the beginning, Because the way I play the para affect how the will develop. If i prefere that they are very need an clean up after themselves….they learn and will prefere that, but over time..it shold be able to change. I think the choise of jobs and how they interact whit other parafolk should form there personality…so if i want a meen para i just have to play that para meanly and he og she will eventually be more and more meen or evil.
    But of course, we cant play all our parafolk at the same time…som have to be fill ind our nabohood, so how could they develop. Again it would depend on what options the had in the house, the choice of jobs, and the folks around them.

I would find that more realistik that i dont know or my para dont know who they are until i have made an relationship og by that way I maby will be able to influense on how they interact whit me/ my para.

What i am trying to say is that I want all that stuff to be somekind of hidden in the game, an not to clear. I love surprises in the game and it would’nt get boring in that way. just my thoughts.

5+
  • Rammgrrrl

Paraling
    March 27, 2020 at 6:31 am
    Friendship BadgeLoyalty BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

I like this idea. I know lots of people think it will be boring because then people will create “perfect” Parafolk, but people are way more complex than just five personality traits, and I’ve noticed that it’s easy to create false dichotomies (e.g. you can either be creative or logical but not both, when in reality there are not only lots of people who have both traits, but there is work that requires both traits, like engineering). It doesn’t have to be done in a way that’s overly complicated, either; it can just be a few sliders. I like your base set, but I think for creativity it should be more like creative vs. unimaginative, conformist vs. nonconformist, or something like that. Logic should have a separate slider, like logical vs. illogical, or practical vs. impractical. That way, we can differentiate between the dreamer (creative and illogical), the inventor (creative and logical), the factual rule follower (logical and unimaginative), and someone who is skilled in neither creativity nor logic. Furthermore, some traits fluctuate depending on mood (for example, I am kind and reasonable most of the time, but not when I’m experiencing intense emotions, and I think that’s true for a lot of people), so it would be good to include that with a calm vs. overemotional scale. For example, say a Parafolk has +8 points on the empathy scale (-10 mean to +10 kind). The emotion regulation scale ranges from -10 to +10, so overemotional Parafolk (+10 points) would reach +10 empathy when happy and -10 when angry, calm Parafolk would remain unchanged, and in-between Parafolk would only gain/lose some points. Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts.

4+

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close