The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums General Ideas Ideas for adopting children in Paralives

• Ideas for adopting children in Paralives

bailey updated 6 months ago 7 Members · 9 Posts
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    April 23, 2020 at 12:13 am
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

I usually try not to make threads with ideas for the game since we’re so far off from them talking about gameplay, but this idea really hit me and I wanted to make a thread for it before I forgot about it.

I wanted to talk about the idea of adopting children within the game. I don’t know how much of a priority this would be to make it into the initial release of the game (I’m not sure if it’s been confirmed anywhere or not. I haven’t seen anything in the faq or list of confirmed features mentioning adoption unless I’m blind), but I would hope to see it at some point.

I hope the process for adoption is semi-realistic. Obviously adoption in real life is an intense, emotional process and I don’t expect all aspects to be covered, but I would hope to have a partially realistic experience.

-I was thinking that if Paraparents wanted to adopt, they’d need to meet a few qualifications when starting the process. They should have decent income, a clean house, a spare room for the new child, and the ability to cook. If they don’t meet these qualifications, they’d get denied. It might take a few days to wait for the results.

-If they met the above qualifications , they could arrange a home inspection by the adoption agency for any time. An NPC Para would come over and check out their house and see if it’s actually clean and has an empty room for a child. Then they’d sit down for an interview. If everything went well, they’d be approved for adoption. Maybe this would also take a few days to get the results.

-After approval they could select the child they want. My idea is that a window would pop up asking what kind of child the Paraparents are looking to adopt, then the player could select the age and the gender they are looking for. Maybe even the option to adopt siblings. Then a list of maybe 10 children would come up for the player to choose from or an option to select at random if that’s what the player wants.

-After the Paraparents have selected the child, they’d be able to go out at meet them. They would go to a rabbit hole and get to know the child. After a few visits, they could take the child home and they’d receive adoption papers and they’d have the option to change the child’s name.

I know this is quite a lot, and like I said, it may be too much for the initial release. But I do hope for this kind of system for any type of adoption related gameplay. Honestly, I just don’t want it to feel unrealistically easy to adopt children. Like you’d just click on a child and then, bam they’re now your kids in your house. Anyone else have any ideas for gameplay related to an adoption system? I’m curious to hear other peoples’ thoughts.

EDIT: After seeing some posts I’m making some additions to the ideas here.

-Adoptive parents should be able to see some of the child’s personality before you adopt them. At first I wasn’t sure about this, but then I thought about it after reading some posts and I think it would be more beneficial to know a bit about the child before taking them home. Like, if you adopt a teenager and they’re a vegetarian it probably won’t be best if they were adopted into a family that eats meat. So that should be seen by the player beforehand.

-A few possible forms of adoption: Open, closed, and foster. With open adoption the game would program a pair of birth parents who can visit the adopted family and spend some time with their biological child. Co-parenting available. Closed: the birth parents just won’t exist in the game. Foster care: you must foster the child for a short period before you are allowed to adopt them.

-There could be a method to slightly shorten the adoption process, so it doesn’t take too much time away from a Para’s life.

-Adoption status could be represented on family trees.

-Paraparents can put their own child up for adoption in the same way as they can adopt from (foster/open/closed). But the child would no longer appear in the world (so as to not have them out an about forming romances with other family as an npc).

13+
  • Rosie

Helpful Hubkin
    April 23, 2020 at 12:22 am
    Diamond EggLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeAppreciation Badge
     Hub Points

This sounds great — I would also like the option of picking children based on their traits or behaviors, if you will. Someone who would fit in with the current family.

7+
  • sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
    April 23, 2020 at 3:16 am
    Diamond EggPicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

I don’t know if they could do all these ideas, but I like the potential for storytelling a lot. Some part of me would be frustrated by the inconvenience of waiting for a few days, especially if “a few days” is a significant chunk of a para’s life because of the time/ageing mechanics of the game. Other than that, these ideas would make the game realistic and a greater challenge, and I welcome any challenge that can keep the game from growing stale.

6+
  • ParalivesandthePauper

Noteworthy Newcomer
    April 23, 2020 at 9:11 am
    Friendship BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

I would like to see if the adoption system (young paras and pets) would possibly include maybe a home visit by a social worker or in the case of pets someone who works at the shelter and see if the children or pets are a good match for your household.

5+
  • Amazing_Star

Pro Hubkin
    April 23, 2020 at 9:41 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

This is actually not really about adoption (but it is tho) but firstly, I would like to see option for same sex / gender couples to still be able to have biological kids. (surrogacy / sperm donors)

And back to the adoptions – foster care. It is definitely thing I want in game. And after fostering a child, you would be able to adopt him / her.

I think that confirmation of adoption could happen in court house – adoption is a pretty much big moment for both kid and parent, so having something like this could interpret such thing – showing emotions of both sides, kids could be able to bring their friends, parents rest of the family and close friends.

4+
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    April 23, 2020 at 3:36 pm
     Hub Points

[quote quote=8350]This sounds great — I would also like the option of picking children based on their traits or behaviors, if you will. Someone who would fit in with the current family.

[/quote]

@Rosie I was actually mixed on the idea of seeing the child’s personality before the adoption. On one hand I can definitely see why that would be good for the player, but another part of me thought of it from a real life point of view where you’d never now the child’s full personality until you actually brought them home and lived with them. Gameplay wise, I guess I wouldn’t mind seeing the personality beforehand.

[quote quote=8356]I don’t know if they could do all these ideas, but I like the potential for storytelling a lot. Some part of me would be frustrated by the inconvenience of waiting for a few days, especially if “a few days” is a significant chunk of a para’s life because of the time/ageing mechanics of the game. Other than that, these ideas would make the game realistic and a greater challenge, and I welcome any challenge that can keep the game from growing stale.

[/quote]

@Sweetchilli True, I guess I hadn’t thought about how it would work with the Parafolk lifespan. I do really hope they’ll have long lives, but if not I guess maybe there could be an option for a “quicker” adoption where the process is slightly faster so it doesn’t take away too much gameplay time.

[quote quote=8365]This is actually not really about adoption (but it is tho) but firstly, I would like to see option for same sex / gender couples to still be able to have biological kids. (surrogacy / sperm donors)

And back to the adoptions – foster care. It is definitely thing I want in game. And after fostering a child, you would be able to adopt him / her.

I think that confirmation of adoption could happen in court house – adoption is a pretty much big moment for both kid and parent, so having something like this could interpret such thing – showing emotions of both sides, kids could be able to bring their friends, parents rest of the family and close friends.

[/quote]

@Amazing_Star I was reluctant to mention things like foster care or a court since we don’t know yet if we’ll have those in game. I do think a rabbit hole could suffice, but I would certainly like if these could make it in the game. I’m okay with the idea that if you go through foster care you must foster the child first, as long as there also adoptions where you can adopt kids without needing to foster first.

[quote quote=8364]I would like to see if the adoption system (young paras and pets) would possibly include maybe a home visit by a social worker or in the case of pets someone who works at the shelter and see if the children or pets are a good match for your household.

[/quote]

@ParalivesandthePauper Yes, I mentioned the home visit in my post. That’s definitely the biggest thing I want to see from an adoption system. I think the Paraparents must have some sort of contact with a foster care or social worker before they can adopt a child. Maybe even needing to take a test as well.

1+
  • cakeefeatured

Star Hubkin
    April 24, 2020 at 2:22 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

I think it’d be cool to have just like in real life a closed or open adoption. Maybe a para who is just unfit to be a parent or not prepared could put their child in the system after they’re born. Could still want to know the child and not have them completely out of their life. Or the parents could not want their kids knowing who they are at all and therefore have a closed adoption to the adopted parents.

For later on when the adopted kids grow up it’d be nice if the adopted parents could tell them they’re adopted or not mention it at all and it’d be history. However if they get papers and theyre lying around somewhere (and paras have the ability to decipher information like this) maybe the kids could become upset or not care they’re adopted

1+
  • amandac

Star Hubkin
    April 25, 2020 at 2:37 pm
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

Somehow the post I made yesterday got deleted so I’ll post it again.

I like the idea of adoption but, if it’s a married couple, I would like it to show in the family tree that both paras are the parents. In TS2, I had the wife call to adopt a little girl. When she grew up, the husband (a player) started flirting with her. When I looked at the family tree, it only showed the wife as the mother and no relation to the husband. I had to move mom and the child out – ruining an otherwise happy marriage.

1+
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    April 25, 2020 at 3:46 pm
     Hub Points

I know I relied to these posts yesterday, but it seems my reply got deleted.

[quote quote=8388]I think it’d be cool to have just like in real life a closed or open adoption. Maybe a para who is just unfit to be a parent or not prepared could put their child in the system after they’re born. Could still want to know the child and not have them completely out of their life. Or the parents could not want their kids knowing who they are at all and therefore have a closed adoption to the adopted parents.

For later on when the adopted kids grow up it’d be nice if the adopted parents could tell them they’re adopted or not mention it at all and it’d be history. However if they get papers and theyre lying around somewhere (and paras have the ability to decipher information like this) maybe the kids could become upset or not care they’re adopted

[/quote]

@cakeefeatured If they can program open and closed adoptions, I think it would be nice to have both. They could possibly add gameplay where the birth parents and adoptive parents can make arrangements to have the child visit the birth parents occasionally.

Being able to have the discussion to the child that they’re adopted when they’re older (if you adopt a really young child), could be interesting as well.

[quote quote=8393]Somehow the post I made yesterday got deleted so I’ll post it again.

I like the idea of adoption but, if it’s a married couple, I would like it to show in the family tree that both paras are the parents. In TS2, I had the wife call to adopt a little girl. When she grew up, the husband (a player) started flirting with her. When I looked at the family tree, it only showed the wife as the mother and no relation to the husband. I had to move mom and the child out – ruining an otherwise happy marriage.

[/quote]

@amandac Yeah, I know I responded to these yesterday. It might have been the maintenance that messed some posts up. Anyway, I agree with this. An adopted child should show up in both family trees of a married couple.

1+

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close