Paralives Forums

Welcome to The Paralives Forums, powered by The Paralives Hub network, where fans from across the world come together to discuss all aspects of Paralives. This is a fan community. Any opinions shared on this website are solely the opinion of the user and do not represent the Paralives brand.

Paralives Hub Forums Parafolk Gradual Aging versus Life Stage Aging

• Gradual Aging versus Life Stage Aging

Profile Photo

Personally, I like having the gaming so you have birthdays and you parafolk turns from a baby to a toddler. I love that and I’m not really the biggest fan of gradual agin because it doesn’t show much progression day to day and i would wonder how school would work to fit that. please let me know your opinions too! i know this is a very talked about topic, and since we already have height sliders it makes me wonder which direction they will take it.

bailey replied 3 years, 3 months ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • I would like to see gradual aging as it would be more realistic. But for it not to become boring there should be a good calendar system as well. So we can still have birthdays and other milestones while noticing that the Parafolk are becoming older as the days progress. You would be able to see changes in appearance, behavior and ability. Since many of us also would like to be able to change the certain aspects of time it could be complicated to implement the gradual aging, e.g. how long days are, how many days in a year, how long it takes for a Para to progress to another stage in life. Conclusion, if the team could find the right balance to make it feel realistic and for it not the become boring I think it would be great.

Posted June 11, 2020 at 11:44 am
  • I would prefer gradual aging because it would allow for Parafolk to realistically progress through their lives. We could watch them growing and changing, gaining more skills as the got older.

That said, I wouldn’t mind life stage aging ONLY if there are many different life stages to represent a person’s entire life. In other games where you only get life stages, they’ve limited the stages to a range of maybe 1-2 years with many others left out. Example: Going from a 3 year old looking toddler to a 10 year old looking child, skipping 6 years in between. That to me is boring because they leave out so much of the child’s life.

I would prefer to see that life stages can represent a wide range of ages. Copy pasting an example for children I posted a while ago: young newborn baby (Up to 8 months)/ older infant (9 mo-1 yr); younger toddler (1 yr-2rs)/ older toddler (3-4 years); young kid (5-8 yrs)/ older kid (9-12 yrs); and lastly young teens (13-15)/ older teens (16-18). If we can get a large range of ages like this, I’d be fine with life stage aging since it would still feel that all of the ground is still being covered.

Posted June 11, 2020 at 4:54 pm
    • yes, that’s what i meant ha. i should’ve been more specific. i would rather have life stages with more than just toddler, child, and teen has ages before adulthood. i would also want more than just young adults, adults, and elders.

Posted June 11, 2020 at 9:32 pm
  • I prefer gradual aging more because when there’s life stage aging I feel rushed through the game to do more and end up doing less, unless I have a mod or use master control cheats to delay them aging up because I want to have more time to play the characters life at a particular age If that makes sense.

I hope there are more catergories I really would like to see these for gradual aging groups

Newborn

Baby

Toddler

Child 5-10

Pre-teen 11-13

Teen

Young adult

Adult

We definitely need an age that’s after what would be age 49 but before paras turned 70 which I think should be a Golden age for 50-60s year old paras, because they’re not elderly yet and most People don’t look old well at least people I know lol don’t look greyheaded and wrinkled skin at this age. That’s one thing I hated with life stage aging in sims was that you’re an adult then elder and then the game is over… :/

Elder 70-100

Honorary (if they are randomly living after age 100-115)

Posted June 11, 2020 at 8:21 pm
    • That bothered me too! elders have nothing really to do and i hate how you jump from toddler to child to a full-grown teen. I would rather your way off the age levels.

Posted June 11, 2020 at 9:26 pm
    • Between adult and elder… “middle-aged” or something?

Posted November 27, 2020 at 4:50 pm
  • I would rather have gradual aging simply because it’s different. I’d like to see Paralives do something that hasn’t been seen before. If they had to resort to life stages it wouldn’t stop me from enjoying the game, but I hold out hope for a fresh take on aging in life simulation.

Posted June 12, 2020 at 6:13 am
  • I would rather have life stages because I want to control when my para goes into the next stage of their life. I believe in TS2 they had a combination of life stage and gradual aging. At the beginning of the child stage, they would run to their parents when they came home from work but not towards the end of that life stage. I could also see a subtle physical change in their icon(?). Those were my clues to age them back down because I play with my sims for a long, long time. I didn’t notice anything in the other stages.

Posted June 12, 2020 at 8:29 am
    • yes!! that was adorable! i would love for that and when they brought they’re report card home to hide it or show their parents depending on their grades.

Posted June 13, 2020 at 10:07 pm
  • I think a balance might be best, have many life stages but still show some gradual progress between them.

Posted June 13, 2020 at 12:58 am
  • I’m not sure what others think but for me, when I voted for gradual aging, what I want is only something visual. Like they gradually, visually grow day after day. I still want to have a birthday system. ?

Posted November 27, 2020 at 4:48 pm
    • Agree but I would like to see it based off a calendar rather than just “so many days for them to reach their next stage” kind of deal the Sims had. It just doesn’t feel realistic enough so hopefully they will be able to do a better job of the time phrase thing.

Posted December 7, 2020 at 9:33 pm
  • Maybe they can do it where it’s set to all parafolks that they grow a certain amount gradually or it can be a completely random rate for some parafolks.

Posted December 7, 2020 at 9:28 pm
  • According to the Parazine based on the Oct 30th dev chat (page 5), the devs are confident about gradual aging, but they’re thinking about mixing gradual aging with life stages through a growth spurt system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/121VVfhyncb3oxa1LqOw_4JRv9VsmswWB/view

I think a system like that could be fine. Maybe the Para would grow slowly after they hit their life stage and the growth spurt would be the visual indicator the player needs to show that they’re older and have moved on to the next one.

Posted December 11, 2020 at 5:42 pm