The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Gameplay & Simulation Cooking and food

• Cooking and food

• Amazing_Star

Pro Hubkin
    February 9, 2020 at 7:19 pm
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

I believe that cooking is huge and important thing in life simulation game. Cooking itself should be then really complex thing and here’s my ideas how to make cooking complex.

Parafolks would be able to prepare predefined recipes in game (e.g. spaghetti, french fries with steak, etc). But you would be also able to make own recipes. Recipes you create could have different values of saturation and nutritional values (I want to make a topic about this).
    Food could also have different tastes, some parafolks wouldn’t want to eat too spicy or bitter food. Also, parafolks could have different tastes, someone likes spicy food while someone likes sweet.

So lets move now to making-own-recipe system:

1. You need to choose category of dish you are making — breakfast, snack, appetizer, soup, lunch, diner. You can choose some types of food for some categories (e.g. you can’t choose chicken meat for snack or breakfast)

2. As a next step, you can choose type of plate or bowl

3. Now we going to make dish itself. As an example, I will use recipe “Meatballs with mashed potatoes“. We start by choosing meat — we can choose from variety of meat, e.g. chicken, pork, beef, lamb, venison, etc… We choose amount of meat. Now we choose type of preparation technique — we can cut it into slices, into little pieces, or we can make from it balls. After this, we choose type of cooking technique — we can bake it, braise it, grill it, in our case fry it on pan and other methods. Now we going to prepare potatoes — we can again cut it into slice, into pieces or let them be, in our case, we will mash them. Then we will cook them.

I would like to remind few things:
    For each food there are different preparation and cooking techniques.
    Plates and bowl have their own limits, you can’t put there too much of food.
    You can choose position of food on plate.
    There are rules for dish making — you can’t create nonsense dish. For example, you can’t put rice and mashed potatoes together.
    Some dishes has predefined basis — sushi, soup, cakes, pies, other kinds of desserts, pastry. You can choose shape, ingredients and other depending on dish.

4. What I didn’t mention was seasoning. Of course, you can season food. You can choose from variety of spices and herbs. You can decorate dish with leaves of basal and others. You can also add marinade, dressing or sauce — again you can choose predefined or you can make your own. When you fry, you can also use different types of oil.
    5. You can name your dish and add some other things — you can add type of cuisine and you can also determine if its diet dish or not — it can be dish for vegetarians, vegans, pescatarians, fruitarians, it can be lactose-free and gluten-free.

There are other things to be mentioned regarding food and cooking, these are mostly things that players want to see:
    Sophisticated preparation and cooking
    You need to have specific ingredient in order to make dish — without it, you can’t make that dish. You have to buy them in shops
    Plates, bowls, glasses and other crockery needs to be bought in shops. Cupboards should be functional, so plates and others are stored there (they don’t magically vanish in sink after washing)
    Plates can be broken, parafolks can get hurt.
    Dish can be prepared by more than one parafolk — e.g, one can cut carrot, other one can cut potatoes.
    Adults can teach kids how to cook, children can then make some simple dishes
    Family recipes that are passed down generations
    Parafolks can learn new recipes by reading cookbooks
    Cooking as a skill should be treated differently — each dish has its own skill level. Cooking and preparation techniques are learned overally.
    Organic and regular food — organic food is more expensive but its better than regular
    Eating multiple course meal without overeating.

• This discussion was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Amazing_Star.
    +5
  • Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    February 10, 2020 at 9:42 am
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

I really like this idea, I’d love more complex cooking. However, I think that some aspects of this idea could be a little unnecessary. For example, I don’t think that every dish needs it’s own skill level, perhaps you could have a core group of cooking skills? I also think that while we don’t know how time will work in Paralives yet, we do know it’s not going to be 1:1 with real life, and that means that having a system as complex as real life would probably result in taking about 5 in-game hours to make a salad.

I do really like the idea though, and I definitely want the cooking aspect of the game to be more than just “choose the recipe”. I’d like to be able to save recipes though so you don’t have to go through the entire procedure every day, but the cooking process shouldn’t just be one of three default animations.

+4
  • Amazing_Star

Pro Hubkin
    February 10, 2020 at 10:58 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

[quote quote=6926]I really like this idea, I’d love more complex cooking. However, I think that some aspects of this idea could be a little unnecessary. For example, I don’t think that every dish needs it’s own skill level, perhaps you could have a core group of cooking skills? I also think that while we don’t know how time will work in Paralives yet, we do know it’s not going to be 1:1 with real life, and that means that having a system as complex as real life would probably result in taking about 5 in-game hours to make a salad.

I do really like the idea though, and I definitely want the cooking aspect of the game to be more than just “choose the recipe”. I’d like to be able to save recipes though so you don’t have to go through the entire procedure every day, but the cooking process shouldn’t just be one of three default animations.

[/quote]
    I saw the idea about dish’s own level on Discord and I really like it – While someone can be great in making soups, at the same time he might not be good in preparing pasta. You prepare dish better, if you already prepared it – just because I make great soups, doesn’t mean I will do as great pasta, if I never did it before. Hope its making sense

+3
  • crabwhatalad

Star Hubkin
    February 11, 2020 at 4:43 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond EggFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

Oooh! This could be great if we get to own restaurants and cafes! Imagine being able to creat your own menu! That would be awesome!

+3

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close