The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Build Tools Connecting Electronics

• Connecting Electronics

Jinxin updated 1 year, 7 months ago 7 Members · 10 Posts
  • Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 10:53 am
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

So I was looking at some of the old development videos, and I thought of an idea when watching this video.

Here, Alex places a laptop with two monitors behind it, and it made me wonder how this could function. What if there was a “wiring mode”, like build mode and live mode, where you could connect electronics together. For example: A computer with 1-3 monitors, a TV with a console or some speakers (surround sound maybe?). This could also function in a slightly more complicated way for lights, where you can connect certain lights to each other so they all turn on at the same time, change colour together, stay at the same level etc, although there would obviously still be an option to control all the lights at once.

My vision of this mode looks somewhat like the electricity view from Cities: Skylines, where everything whites out and the electronics are highlighted, although this isn’t a perfect example.

One thing I’m not certain on, though, is the visibility of the wiring. Should it be visible? how would that even work? Maybe wall/ceiling mounted items have invisible wiring, and everything else doesn’t? Could you draw a path for the wires to follow? I’m not really sure, so I’ve put a poll with two sections (you can only have one poll, so please vote once between the first 3 options and once between the last 2).

Sorry if this is hard to understand, I’m not feeling very coherent today ahaha.

• sweetchilli

Star Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 12:23 pm
    Diamond EggPicture PerfectAppreciation BadgeFriendship BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

All for this. I thought the lack of wires looked odd in the video. Have voted for togglable wires placed automatically.

• Calarand

Seasoned Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 3:13 pm
    Picture PerfectDiamond EggFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeLoyalty BadgeTrendsetter Badge
     Hub Points

I’m torn on this one. On the one hand, I do enjoy playing with wiring when I build my settlements in Fallout 4. I can place switches to turn lights on in just one room, or even just one nightlight while leaving the rest of the room in the dark. On the other hand, I’m fairly sure I’d find that frustrating and even annoying while designing and furnishing homes for my Sims, especially if placing the wires came with some restrictions like distance from the power source, etc. Because when I need my TV to be in that particular corner, I need it to be right there and I don’t want no stinking wires to ruin my meticulous interior design. 😉

I think what is fun and engaging in a game that focuses on making a city/settlement functional and efficient as a whole, doesn’t have to translate to the same kind of fun in a game that focuses on life of a pixel person.

That said, I’m a huge hypocrite because my favorite kind of Sims CC is the one that adds visible cables and plugs to electronics….

• Aibas(Ahmed Saddig)

Pro Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 4:41 pm
    Friendship BadgeDiamond EggAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

if the wires don’t take up actual space( as in you can still place objects next to the device with the wires, i’d love the idea. i’d definitely use it for my older houses, for older parafolk, or if i want to have a poorer family that can’t afford state of the art wireless electronics 😉

• PlyPlay665

High Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 6:20 pm
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond EggPicture Perfect
     Hub Points

I could see having a predermined path being difficult to actually work when you can place things so freely as you can with Paralives. It would have to be Auto generated based on the items surroundings which is bound to have issues. I think it should be automatically toggled “off” (for simplicity’s sake) but for there to be an ability to run a wire to a specific point. Sort of like how I imagine air duct vents are going to be – purely visual. A system that would allow for monitors to be connected for computer setups would be cool… Perhaps it could work like how beds do? You can reshape it/toggle it to be multiples. If you put more than one monitor together, 9 times out 10 they’re going to be side by side.

TVs for sports bars, on the other hand… Might be a use for that feature. Though, that can be circumvented by all tvs being synced if they’re on the same channel.

• Aysha

Paraling
    April 16, 2020 at 7:41 pm
    Diamond EggLoyalty BadgeAppreciation Badge
     Hub Points

Though I love any kind of realism for this game that other games in the same genre don’t seem to offer, wiring is one of the things I’m not sure about.
    To clarify I would LOVE having visible and functional wiring, electronics everything in a life sim, but then I would also love anything that we have in real life in the game. What I mean with that is, that to me it’s not really something I “need” in this game.

Because if u look at the example given of Cities: Skylines, it’s a more global game, which gives you the chance to focus on a lot more of these things and gameplay than if you play a life simulator where you dive deeper and suddenly have a lot more things to look at.

That being said tho, in no way am I trying to talk down on the idea of wiring, because I have not thought about it before and reading everyone’s opinion on the topic truely does interest me.

• Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 8:01 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

[quote quote=8181]I do enjoy playing with wiring when I build my settlements in Fallout 4.[/quote]

Fallout 4 was actually something I was thinking of when writing this post! I think that a similar system could work really well in a life sim.

[quote quote=8181]I think what is fun and engaging in a game that focuses on making a city/settlement functional and efficient as a whole, doesn’t have to translate to the same kind of fun in a game that focuses on life of a pixel person.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I guess this wasn’t clear enough, but I wasn’t anything remotely similar to Cities: Skylines. The example was purely there for an example the aesthetic I was thinking of, with everything whited out and the electronics highlighted. This was more for micro things like having multi-monitor set-ups etc.

• Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    April 16, 2020 at 8:05 pm
     Hub Points

[quote quote=8186]I could see having a predermined path being difficult to actually work when you can place things so freely as you can with Paralives. It would have to be Auto generated based on the items surroundings[/quote]

Yeah, that’s one of the problems I was thinking about. By “predetermined” I did actually mean generated by the computer.
    My solution to the free placement problem was the path drawing idea, but it’s not really ideal.

• cakeefeatured

Star Hubkin
    April 27, 2020 at 12:37 am
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeFriendship Badge
     Hub Points

If wires are to have a visibility toggle, would you want to have some electronics be required to be charged after awhile of use?

• Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    April 30, 2020 at 10:24 am
     Hub Points

[quote quote=8429]If wires are to have a visibility toggle, would you want to have some electronics be required to be charged after awhile of use?

[/quote]

That’s a good idea that I didn’t think of, I think it would be add a little realism without being overly detrimental to the gameplay.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now