The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums Gameplay & Simulation Autonomy

• Autonomy

Jinxin updated 11 months, 1 week ago 7 Members · 13 Posts
  • yeetthesalsa

Paraling
    July 27, 2019 at 4:33 am
    Friendship BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

So I’ve heard a lot of really interesting and unique ideas being thrown around in regards to game-play and interaction/relationships between paras (is that what we’re calling them?) , but I haven’t really seen much about the actual mechanics of how a household would function in the game when it comes to control over individual characters (their autonomy).

I think autonomy settings similar to those on The Sims games could be helpful so that the player could decide how much/little control they have over their paras’ actions within an active household. This is kind of the way I see it being set up..

Options/Settings
    [*] Full Autonomy (All paras in the household have the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy disabled for selected para (All paras in the household outside of the actively selected one have the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy disabled (No para in the household has the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy for specific para (Select the paras in the household in which you would like to have the capability do make their own choices)

Hopefully this makes sense, and please feel free to add on or ask me any questions for clarification! 😀

6+
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    July 27, 2019 at 4:26 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

That would be cool. It would also be nice to throw in an option to decide whether or not you can control pets.

3+
  • yeetthesalsa

Paraling
    July 27, 2019 at 5:06 pm
     Hub Points

Yes, I definitely agree.. I think it would be neat to be able to chose for yourself if you want to have direct control over your pets actions

3+
  • amandac

Star Hubkin
    July 29, 2019 at 4:40 pm
    Loyalty BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture PerfectTrendsetter BadgeFriendship BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

These are great ideas. It would also be nice if a family member (son/daughter) moves out and they meet someone special, they would call and say (pop-up) “I met ___ today. I have a feeling about this one” or “I’ve been dating ___ and I think he/she may be the one” or “___ and I decided to move in together” , etc.

3+
  • xrystal

August 9, 2019 at 5:19 am
     Hub Points

Please make it so that autonomous characters pay their bills without you telling them to do it .. I set up a sim in their own house, gave them a job and tools to advance .. and they lost it all because they didn’t go to work or pay bills. Of course if there is a gene system at some point .. responsible gene could mean they are more likely to go to work and pay bills.

3+
  • rbolton

Noteworthy Newcomer
    August 11, 2019 at 11:00 am
    Trendsetter Badge
     Hub Points
    quote Bailey post_id=318 time=1564244799 user_id=164:

That would be cool. It would also be nice to throw in an option to decide whether or not you can control pets.

I disagree. Personally, I think that the game should either allow you to control your pets or not, because both controlling your pets and not controlling your pets are unique experiences and the game’s design needs to be tailored to fit it.

3+
  • yeetthesalsa

Paraling
    August 11, 2019 at 8:30 pm
     Hub Points
    quote RBolton post_id=544 time=1565521256 user_id=416:

I disagree. Personally, I think that the game should either allow you to control your pets or not, because both controlling your pets and not controlling your pets are unique experiences and the game’s design needs to be tailored to fit it.

That’s true, I didn’t really consider that aspect. Maybe it could be where you always have the ability to switch to the control of your pet (much like you can switch between controlling your other characters), but as I suggested in my original post, maybe you can chose if that specific character/pet has autonomy. Hopefully this makes sense!

4+
  • rbolton

Noteworthy Newcomer
    August 12, 2019 at 12:03 am
    Trendsetter Badge
     Hub Points
    quote yeetthesalsa post_id=551 time=1565555459 user_id=257:

That’s true, I didn’t really consider that aspect. Maybe it could be where you always have the ability to switch to the control of your pet (much like you can switch between controlling your other characters), but as I suggested in my original post, maybe you can chose if that specific character/pet has autonomy. Hopefully this makes sense!

Hmm… maybe you can control your pet to some extent, but many other things you can’t control and the pet will just do them autonomously. Or maybe your pet starts out knowing how to do only a few things, but as the Para teaches them tricks or whatever, they unlock actions in the pie menu. (Is there even going to be a pie menu?)

2+
  • bailey

Star Hubkin
    August 12, 2019 at 5:45 pm
    Trendsetter BadgeLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgePicture Perfect
     Hub Points

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see how there would be an issue. The option to control the pet can simply be there, but if you don’t want to use it, you just never have to touch it.

3+
  • yeetthesalsa

Paraling
    August 13, 2019 at 1:20 am
     Hub Points
    quote Bailey post_id=566 time=1565631923 user_id=164:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see how there would be an issue. The option to control the pet can simply be there, but if you don’t want to use it, you just never have to touch it.

Yeah, I’m kind of on the same page as you here, but I think what they’re getting at is that if you have control of the pets, then you (as your pet) can do any tricks without having to learn them vs. your para needing to teach them tricks if you don’t have control of your pets. That’s the only way I can actually see it impacting gameplay.

What I think is maybe it could work as I suggested previously, and if you do decide to control your pet, actions (besides sitting, moving, laying down, barking etc.) are part of a skill and they need to be trained in order to be able to do them. Also in order for the para to directly control the pet (commanding them to sit, stay, lay down etc.) they need to train them to do that.

If the other concern is that autonomy determined the need for obedience training for pets, maybe pets only do stuff they’re not supposed to if autonomy is on, and paras can train them to behave.

2+
  • Shaybs

Noteworthy Newcomer
    November 23, 2019 at 6:40 pm
    Appreciation BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

[quote quote=3430]So I’ve heard a lot of really interesting and unique ideas being thrown around in regards to game-play and interaction/relationships between paras (is that what we’re calling them?) , but I haven’t really seen much about the actual mechanics of how a household would function in the game when it comes to control over individual characters (their autonomy).

I think autonomy settings similar to those on The Sims games could be helpful so that the player could decide how much/little control they have over their paras’ actions within an active household. This is kind of the way I see it being set up..

Options/Settings
    [*] Full Autonomy (All paras in the household have the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy disabled for selected para (All paras in the household outside of the actively selected one have the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy disabled (No para in the household has the capability do make their own choices)
    [*] Autonomy for specific para (Select the paras in the household in which you would like to have the capability do make their own choices)

Hopefully this makes sense, and please feel free to add on or ask me any questions for clarification! ?

[/quote]

I agree and would love these options. I was reading another forum about having schedules for Parafolk and that if a schedule for one is set they should be able to follow that schedule automatically. Maybe if they were able to implement schedules, this would help with leaving chosen characters alone with the playing knowing that they would be getting done the things they need to and not caring about what they do in their free time.

1+
  • Shaybs

Noteworthy Newcomer
    November 23, 2019 at 6:49 pm
    Appreciation BadgeLoyalty Badge
     Hub Points

[quote quote=3750]These are great ideas. It would also be nice if a family member (son/daughter) moves out and they meet someone special, they would call and say (pop-up) “I met ___ today. I have a feeling about this one” or “I’ve been dating ___ and I think he/she may be the one” or “___ and I decided to move in together” , etc.

[/quote]

I REALLY hope that this will be a thing. For me as a player, I would like to be able to set a schedule for my characters and be updated (similarly to sims but as you wrote above more like texts to the player) about things that are happening in their lives! If my folk have a kid, I wanna know about their first A+ or my adult folk getting a promotion. I would even want to know the bad parts of their day just to know what’s going on in their lives and passively keeping track of them until/unless there is a need to intervene or you want to control and change how they are played.

1+
  • Jinxin

Star Hubkin
    November 23, 2019 at 10:05 pm
    Picture PerfectLoyalty BadgeFriendship BadgeAppreciation BadgeTrendsetter BadgeDiamond Egg
     Hub Points

I think that which para’s are autonomous should be a separate setting from the level of autonomy, and the autonomy settings could be something like;

– Full autonomy – Para’s will act on their whims and do anything they want like watch TV, work out, or practice a skill they are high level in, and will be able to spend Paradimes on hobbies (like in the Sims when painters keep buying canvas’)
    – Partial autonomy – Para’s will only fill their needs by themselves, unless they have a strong “moodlet”, and will only spend Paradimes on essentials like food.
    – No autonomy – Para’s won’t do anything you don’t tell them to. (would they still act on their strong moodlets? I feel like it could break the game if they didn’t).

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Jinxin. Reason: bbcode -_-
    1+

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close