The Paralives Hub Forums

Welcome to the unofficial Paralives Forums. Discuss ideas and connect with Paralives fans from around the world.

Home Forums General Ideas Personality System / Do we need "personality traits"? Re: Personality System / Do we need "personality traits"?

• winderhousen

August 23, 2019 at 9:06 pm
     Hub Points
    quote TheVioletLily post_id=284 time=1564024088 user_id=313:

I have always wondered what a game like the Sims would be like if each person had AI similar to the creature in Lionheart Studios’ “Black and White”.

This creature’s (basically your pet) personality evolved as he lived. If he did something that benefited himself, like eating fish (fills hunger need), he would be more likely to do it again.

This could also cause some interesting situations, as eating a person also raised his hunger need, but usually wasn’t what you wanted him to do.

This is why the scolding/praising system was implemented. It worked like this:

Both eating a fish and a person would raise his hunger, and was therefore first determined by the creature to be positive actions, making it likely to do so again.

But then you scold after he eats a person. The game evaluates what he has done in the last little bit and adds a negative point to them. The more often you scold him while eating a person, the more negative points are added to it and the less likely he is to do so again. You can also praise him to have the opposite effect.

As simple as this is, it can create some very complex habits and personalities. My brother managed to teach him to lift rocks to exercise. There was no motivation for the creature to do this on his own.

What he did was tell his creature to pick up the largest rock he could. He then praised the creature. He told the creature to walk somewhere while holding the rock, and praised him again. He kept doing this until the creature started trying to do these actions on his own.

At first, the creature would often do the wrong action, like dropping or throwing the rock instead of carrying it. He would be scolded for this, and continue to be praised when he got it right. Over time the creature manages to learn to do it correctly every time. He would pick up a rock and carry it back and forth, thereby raising his strength.

The creature started initiating this sting of actions in his free time, as doing this correctly was seen as vastly more positive than other activities. (If you aren’t careful though, the creature could get ‘addicted’ and start valuing this action over his basic needs)

Essentially, by doing this my brother managed to program a more complex behavior in the creature that it was not previously programed to do.

I think this type of system would make for some very interesting and unique people.

Edit:

I just realized that these learned actions would build off of each other when other people with this type of AI are interacting.

Say you have an evil parent with a child. The evil parent might yell at the child whenever he/she/they see them. This would eventually teach the child to avoid the parent.

Or say you have a grandparent that loves to bake. The grandchildren would visit often as they would learn their hunger need gets filled there.

Or say you have a husband that hates messes. He may get angry at his spouse is they leave one. This would eventually cause his spouse to be more neat

Seeing all the people with this type of AI react to each other would be very interesting. They could even eventually create their own culture.

Much of what you’re writing about is a from a branch of psychology called “Behaviorism.” It has its application in real life, but it cannot be used to affect or describe the whole of human thought and action. Maybe it works for animals completely, but not people. I would combine it with cognitive psychology, social learning theory, and psychosocial psychology.

Cognitive psych basically claims that people are not blank slates. We are born with personalities that can be molded by own choices.

Social learning theory claims that our personalities are influenced by the teaching, expectations, and traditions of surrounding culture.

Psychosocial psychology claims that our personalities are molded by positive and negative social experiences in childhood.

These three and behaviorism should be combined to create a realistic psychological basis for life simulation games.

1+

New Report

Close